Thursday, January 15, 2009

When is a blog a splog?

One of my blogs recently got removed from a blogging site for being a splog. Splog is short for spam blog. When I say one of my blogs got removed, I really mean seven of them were mistreated in this way.

General thinking on the matter is that splogs are full of rubbish. The text is either scraped (meaning copied and pasted) from another site or is often just gibberish with a liberal smattering of keywords. They exist in order to create links to other sites and thus try to influence search engine results for that page. Lots and lots of them exist. In fact I know somebody who runs a site much like blogspot where anybody can ad a blog. Yesterday in the course of a 15 minute conversation with him he had 13 new spam blogs created with their first posts. There are over 3,000 of them at the moment. They seem to have complete disregard/contempt for the captcha he put on the site to try and stop them. A splog on the domain is updated every 5-10 seconds. The IP addresses of the people creating them appear to be from literally all over the world.

Why are they splogs? They all contain nothing but adverts pointing to Ebay or other similar ecommerce sites. There is no good content.

My blogs? Why don't you look for yourself and see what you think: Irish Jobs Guru

Sure, I have links to sites I want to promote. I don't have all that many though. The content of the blogs are original. Even when I write a fact based peice I make sure to use several sources for my information. I reword everything too. I don't want to be held up for duplicate content!

I argued my point but the heathens were having none of it. Give me your opinion. Leave a comment on this post.

No comments: